Thursday, June 11, 2015

The BookShop 1

Oh dear, why is it raining? Not that I do not like the rain, but at times like these, I need a clear blue sky. It's been almost 30 minutes since I stood here, waiting to get my car. Usually I would just run in the rain. I rather get wet than standing alone. Anyway, I just stood there, head down, looking at my phone. As I was scrolling down my instagram, someone knocked me. Thank god I didn't drop my phone. I looked up and saw this guy. He is smart. Tall and clean. My first impression was wow. I hope I didn't say it out loud. 

He apologised. I don't know how many times he apologised before I finally said it's ok. 

He smiled and asked "Waiting for the rain to stop?" 
"Yup, and I'm not an umbrella person." I smiled. 
He laughed a little. "Me too." After a few seconds of silence, "Guess the rain won't stop so soon, do you want to come to my place for a while?"
I nearly chocked... I looked at him, "Oh, don't get me wrong, I have a shop here. Well, I thought you might want to grab a coffee while waiting." 
I giggled, "Oh, ok. good idea."

We walked past three shops, and then he led me up the stairs. He pointed at the sign that read "The BookShop". How creative, eyes rolling... I didn't expect a bookshop, thought it was some kind of bar or coffee place. Well, at least I didn't thought a man like him would like to read. 

When he opened the door, that was my second Wow. It looks nothing like those typical bookstores. All the shelves were antique, traditional antique. What I truly love. I wow-ed, he smiled. I went around looking at his furnitures, and books. It was so cozy. At the right corner, there were few big cushions and a short table. It looks so comfy to be there. 

He asked, "so, would you prefer coffee or tea?" Before I answered, "Well, I have wine too."
I gave him a smile and replied, "I think I'll just have tea, black. Thank you." 

While he made the drinks, I walked around again. I couldn't stop myself from looking at all the things. I love the cabinet behind his counter. Even the counter is wooden. The paintings on the wall go so well with the furniture. 

Then I saw him walking over to table with the drinks. I went over to sit with him. He is so charming. 

Me: This place is awesome. What makes you do this?
He: Well, I love to read, I guess I read too much, my house can't fit these. So I opened this place.
Me: Wow, that's a lot of books you read. So are they for sale?
He: Well, most people come to buy, I would sell. But some titles that I love, I will just rent them out. Do you read?
Me: Yes I do. But not this much. (Still looking around like a little girl finding a doll)
I can feel him looking at me. I turn to look at him.
Me: That's why I hate technology.
He: Tech? Why?
Me: Books are meant to be read, flipping the pages. Making your own bookmarks. Not reading from a tablet. Flipping pages is only a swipe. Bookmark is a tap. The shelves in the house gets smaller, or sometimes there isn't even a shelf in the house. 
Whopps, sorry, I bore you.
He: No, you didn't. I totally agree with you.

He: So, what books do you read? 
Me: You must think that I'm crazy.
He: All book readers are crazy. So what's it? 
Me: Hahaha, No girly lovey stories. Crime, triller.
He: It's ok, most books are crime.

Then we went on talking about stuffs that do not matter over our tea. Nothing personal, just what's happening in the world, some general stuff. 

Suddenly I realised, the rain has stopped. 

Me: Hey, I think I better get going. The rain's stopped. Thank you so much for offering a place and that cup of tea.
He: Oh, so soon? Wait.

He went behind the shelves, and came back with a book. He gave it to me.

He: Please read this. But this isn't crime. It's just a story that I would like to share with you. 
Me: Ok, how much is this?
He: This is not for sale. And please return it ok?
Me: Ok.

And I left...

No comments: